- 12 oz container of extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 to tomato seeds removed and finely diced
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives chopped (see note)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Drain the water from the package of tofu and press the tofu between paper towels, with something heavy, such as an iron pan, on top. Press until the excess water is removed, approximately 15 minutes. Once it’s drained, cut it into small cubes or mash it. Do whatever makes you happy.
While the tofu is being pressed, chop and mince the vegetables and herbs.
Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or sauté pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and bell pepper and stir evenly in the pan. Cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the tofu, tomato, garlic, and olives and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and herbs and cook until lightly wilted, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
If you want your scramble to taste like egg you can add black salt to it, which has a sulfurous flavor. See the post for the link to purchase it. You can also add nutritional yeast if you want a cheese like flavor.
If you are watching your sodium, reduce or eliminate the olives.
The Nutrition Facts are an estimate only.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 680mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5210IU | Vitamin C: 90mg | Calcium: 212mg | Iron: 5.7mg