An almost guilt free sundae. Made with frozen bananas, fresh strawberries, and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
WHY BANANA ICE CREAM IS ACTUALLY HEALTHY
People always ask me how I stay so thin if all I’m ever doing is creating recipes and tasting (eating most of it) what I make. My answer is simple – because everything I eat comes from a plant. This ice cream is a perfect example. It’s hard to get fat if your dessert is bananas, strawberries, and A bit of peanut butter.
Nice cream is also cholesterol free and free of saturated fats. And, if you make our chocolate sauce, you can make a refined sugar-free ice cream sundae as well.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA NICE CREAM
Another great thing about making ice cream out of frozen bananas is that you don’t need an ice cream machine.
- Slice up some ripe bananas, put them in a freezer bag, and freeze them. I like to store my bananas individually so that I can make a single serving when I feel like a frosty, creamy treat.
2. Once they’re frozen, put them in a food processor or a super strong blender and wait until they turn into a thick, smooth, frosty consistency. This will take about five minutes because the bananas are frozen. Be patient. At this point it will be like soft serve, but if you want it harder just freeze it for a few hours.
You don’t have to add any other ingredient, but I like to play with my food. Today I added some peanut butter to give the bananas a richer flavor, and it added protein. I also added strawberries, because I love them. The combination was divine. Talk about decadence without guilt!
To make the sundae, you’ll need some chocolate sauce. Make your own with cacao powder, coconut sugar, and almond milk. This isn’t a thick, fudgy sauce, it’s actually pretty thin, but that makes it so good because the sauce seeps down the sides of the bowl and finds its way to the bottom. .
The whipped cream is made out of coconut milk. You’ll need to use the heavy cream, not the light stuff. Whip it with some powdered sugar and a little corn starch to thicken it. And, don’t be afraid to turn your mixer on a high setting and let it go for a while. I find that the longer I whip the stiffer the cream gets.
Finally, garnish it with some chopped strawberries and peanuts. Gorgeous!
HOW TO STORE BANANA NICE CREAM
Put it in a freezer safe container for up to one month. I find that if you store it longer than that it will develop ice crystals and won’t taste as good.
A guilt free dessert made from bananas, strawberries, and other natural plant based ingredients.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 teaspoon of peanut butter
- 4 large strawberries – stem off
- 1/4 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 1 15 ounce can of coconut milk – not the light kind
- 1/3 cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch
- 2 strawberries – stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of peanuts - chopped
- Blend the bananas in a food processor or a strong blender until the bananas are smooth and creamy. Add the peanut butter and the strawberries and blend until combined. If you don’t want soft serve put the ice cream into an air tight container and freeze for two or more hours.
- Whisk the cacao powder, almond milk, and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until the cacao powder is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- You will have extra to store in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Whip all of the ingredients on high speed until it is stiff.
- You will have extra to store for up to 2 days.
The Nutrition Facts are an estimate only.