Good morning beautiful!
How do I love thee my sweet and tangy vegan gluten-free strawberry rhubarb crumble? Let me count the ways.
- You make me feel all poetic, like Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Such a romantic.
- You make me drool.
- You make me smile.
- You make me sit down to eat.
- You make me hum while I eat.
- You satisfy me.
- You nourish me.
- You don’t make me feel guilty, ever.
That is how much I love my healthy strawberry rhubarb crumble. And you’re going to love it too.
First of all, it’s filled with sweet and slightly sour strawberries and rhubarb. Both are at peak season right now so you know that they’re going to taste their best.
Did you know that rhubarb is a vegetable? So this crumble is a fruit and veggie dessert. You know that’s good for you! One cup of strawberries will give you more than your daily recommended allowance of vitamin C, plus a good amount of manganese, fiber, and antioxidants. Rhubarb is a great source of fiber and vitamins K, A, and C. While you’re enjoying this tasty treat, know that you’re body is enjoying a whole bunch of health benefits. It’s a win-win!
The crumble that goes on top is also pretty darn good, and good for you. I just dare you to walk past that pan of gluten-free strawberry rhubarb crumble and not take a nibble off the top.
The topping is a combination of whole oats, brown rice flour, finely chopped walnuts, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, and coconut butter. There isn’t anything in this that you wouldn’t want to put in your body. Well, okay, the coconut butter should be consumed in moderation because it is a saturated fat and will increase your cholesterol levels if eaten regularly. But, there is very little butter in this recipe and you won’t be eating this daily, nor will you consume the entire pan. You will share, right?
This vegan gluten-free strawberry rhubarb crumble is the perfect dessert to take to a 4th of July party because it travels well, and it’s just as good cold as it is hot.
Do you love rhubarb as much as I do?
What about strawberries, do you love them too?
What’s your favorite 4th of July dessert?
Vegan Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- 2 cups of whole oats
- 1/2 cup of brown rice flour
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 teasppon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of raw coconut butter
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 8 large rhubarb stalks – diced
- 6 cups of fresh diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Zest from one lime
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Put all of the ingredients in a large bowl and use your clean hands to mix the coconut butter and water into the mixture until it sticks together in clumps.
- Put the strawberries and rhubarb in a large bowl and mix the sugar and lime zest until fully combined.
- Put the filling in a 9 X 11 pan and evenly drop the crumble on top. Bake for 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and easy to pierce with a fork. If the topping looks like it’s browning too much put foil on top until the fruit is done. Let cool.