Happy Cinco de Mayo!!! Are you celebrating with all things spicy? You should, because the peppers, onions, garlic, and herbs that make up Mexican food are so good for you. Unfortunately, American Mexican food is anything but. Most of it is smothered in cheese and filled with some sort of meat. Take a look at your neighbor’s food the next time you dine out, or just listen to the ordering going on around you when you go to Chipotle. Yep, a lot of it is heart clogging, cholesterol laden, and plain old unhealthy. But not this homemade vegan burrito bowl. Noooooo, this is as good as it gets.
This antioxidant filled bowl is filled with some serious goodness, and it tastes fresh and amazing. It’s also super easy to make. You only need a handful of ingredients. Rice, black beans, avocado, corn, cilantro, peppers, spinach (or lettuce), tomatoes, and spices. That’s it.
Simmer the rice and some black beans. Add a little water, chili powder, cumin, onion, garlic, Poblano pepper, cilantro, and salt to the beans and let the water slowly reduce so that the beans are thick and almost creamy. These are so much better than buying readymade refried beans, which can contain lard. Lardy-lardy-lardy, who would put that into their food?
Sorry, I’ve warned you about my dorkiness.
While the rice and beans are cooking cut the corn away from the cob, or use thawed frozen corn. Then sauté it with the peppers, onions, garlic, and spices. If you’re not a vegan, (you should be xoxo) and are feeling like putting some meat in your dish, then add some Beyond Meat Feisty Crumbles. They’re the perfect alternative to eating a cow.
Finish it off with some chopped spinach or lettuce, diced tomatoes, and some guacamole. Yummm…… A healthy, delicious, and festive way to enjoy this fun Mexican holiday.
Do you like what you've seen so far? We sure hope so! Do us a favor, take a trip over to our Facebook page and give it a like, or follow us on Instagram or Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did.
Vegan Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup white rice – follow directions on the package
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can black beans – rinsed well
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Pablano pepper – ½ minced and ½ diced
- 1 cob of corn – kernels cut off of the cob
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. When done add ½ cup cilantro and pepper to taste.
- In a medium sauce pan bring the beans, 3-4 cups of water (enough to cover the beans), 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, ½ of the onion, ½ of the garlic, and ½ of the pepper to a boil, then reduce to a low boil.
- Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan and cook the corn, ½ of the onion, ½ of the garlic, ½ of the pepper, 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the corn is soft to the touch but still has a slight crunch to it. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Prepare the guacamole.
- Layer the ingredients in a deep bowl and top with the guacamole and salsa.