Sweet Potato Toast Bruschetta! This is one of the easiest and tastiest appetizer recipes I've made in a long time. The crazy part is that you cook the sweet potato slices in your toaster. Whaaaat?
Sweet potato toast is blowing up the internet. Okay, that’s a bit of hyperbole, it’s not really blowing up the WWW, but it is popping up all over Pinterest. I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for a few weeks, but other things, like this, and this, got in the way. Two sweet posts in a row is unusual for me, and now it’s out of my system. Today it’s back to healthy, colorful, and easy treats. Sound good?
If you haven’t seen toast made out of sweet potato slices, you’re probably wondering how do you make toast out of a potato, am I right? That was my first thought when I started seeing this idea on Pinterest. My second thought was that it would ruin my toaster because the sugar would drip all over the bottom of it. However, curiosity got the best of me, and I had to take that risk. I’m so happy that I did, because this is one of the easiest ways to make sweet potatoes, and, it didn’t do any harm to my beloved appliance.
The thin slices of sweet potato take about three (3 minute) cycles to toast to a soft, yet firm texture. They turned out roasted, with a few blackened caramelized spots on them. They were solid enough to hold other ingredients on top, and soft enough to eat without a fight. I have to admit, I was skeptical when I first heard about them, but now I’m a convert.
How to Make Sweet Potato Toast Bruschetta
This easy sweet potato bruschetta recipe took me about 15 minutes to whip up. All you’ll need to do is peel and slice a large sweet potato. I sliced the pieces about a half an inch thick lengthwise. Once they’re sliced, put as many as will fit into your toaster and toast them until they’re easily pierced with a fork, yet firm enough to stay together when you put toppings on them. When they’re almost done they’ll most likely have started to brown in spots.
While the sweet potato slices are toasting, make the shallot, spinach, and garlic topping.
Top the toasts with the topping and sprinkle a bit of vegan ricotta cheese (I used Kite Hill), sea salt, and pepper on top, and enjoy a savory and healthy snack.
This is definitely the kind of appetizer that I will serve at my next get together, it’s also great for a quick lunch or afternoon snack. If you want to make a big batch at once you can put the sweet potato slices on a cookie sheet and roast in a 400° oven for approximately 15 minutes. Make sure you flip them mid-way through roasting.
Give this easy, vibrant, and delicious savory sweet potato toast recipe a try, and let me know what you think. I’d love to hear from you.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Sweet Potato Toast Bruschetta
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- 5 cups of fresh baby spinach
- Ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of vegan ricotta I used Kite Hill
- Peel and slice the sweet potato lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- Toast in your toaster until they're easy to pierce with a fork, yet firm enough to hold other ingredients.Approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are toasting, heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the shallots and cook until they're caramelized. Approximately 5 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic and cook until the spinach turns a dark green and begins to wilt. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Top the sweet potato toast with the shallot and spinach mixture and grind sea salt and black pepper on top to taste. Sprinkle with vegan ricotta.