Middle Eastern Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower! Smothered with a vegan yogurt sauce of Shawarma and curry, this is not your typical cauliflower dish.
Where are my cauliflower/spice lovers? There you are. Heyyyyy. Come on over, have a seat, and dig in to this gorgeous Brassica oleracea. Yes, I did just go there, because sometimes you just need to try and act like a fancy pants. 😉
But seriously, you’re going to love us for creating this roasted cauliflower recipe with a Shawarma spice blend and a bit of curry added for good measure. It’s pretty freaking delicious and we made enough of the Middle Eastern spice blend yogurt sauce (I’m obsessed) for dipping. You’re welcome.
Have you ever roasted a whole cauliflower? If you have, you know how gorgeous the presentation is when you pull that beautiful veggie out of the oven, all browned and pretty. You also know that it’s one of the easiest ways to roast cauliflower because you literally prepare it, pop it in the oven, and let it cook for an hour or so. While it’s doing its thing, you can do yours. Whatever that may be.
Let’s do this!
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH MIDDLE EASTERN YOGURT SAUCE
You guys, this couldn’t be easier. When you serve it to your friends they’re going to think that you slaved away all day in a hot kitchen. Lol! Go ahead and let them think that.
First – Sauté a finely diced onion and minced garlic in some quality extra-virgin olive oil.
Second - Whisk the Shawarma spice blend, curry, and salt and pepper in the plain vegan yogurt (we love Kite Hill brand) until completely blended, then stir in the onion and garlic.
Third – Trim the leaves off of the cauliflower and cut the stem so it’s flush with the bottom. You want it to sit flat in the pan.
Fourth – Microwave the cauliflower for approximately 5 to 7 minutes, or until it's just fork tender.
Fifth - Brush a thick layer of the Shawarma yogurt sauce all over the cauliflower.
Sixth– Roast the cauliflower for approximately one hour (turn the pan at 30 minutes to ensure an even roast), or until golden brown and fork tender.
That’s it. Six easy steps is all it takes to make this delicious and oh so beautiful whole roasted cauliflower with yogurt sauce.
Let’s talk about that sauce. It’s SO GOOD! I piled a lot on my plate and dipped every bite of cauliflower into it. I also made a batch of my easy No Yeast Vegan Garlic Flatbread, which is very much like naan, and dipped that in sauce too. The Shawarma spice blend is so exotic and savory. The blend that I bought has a mix of cinnamon, allspice, cumin, ginger, and turmeric, it’s warm, earthy, savory, and amazing.
The tanginess of the yogurt, combined with the spices, onion and garlic, and curry lights up the cauliflower like the moon lights the night sky. Corny? Maybe, but it’s true. You can use a typical white cauliflower, or, you can buy a golden cauliflower like I did. The sauce will look beige when you brush it on, but it turns a beautiful golden brown while it roasts, so when you cut it open it appears that the sauce soaked in to the center. It’s so pretty.
If you want to make the roasted whole cauliflower a meal, make our flatbread and our Crispy Oven Fried Falafel, with a big side of the spiced yogurt sauce for dipping. It’s an easy weeknight meal and a fun and delicious way to finish the day. The roasted cauliflower would also make a festive addition to your holiday table.
Make it and let me know what you think. I love to hear from you!
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
MIDDLE EASTERN SPICED WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 ½ cups 372 g plain vegan yogurt (we like Kite Hill brand)
- 1 tbsp 15 ml + ½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp 23 g Shawarma spice blend See the link in the instructions to make your own if you can't find a pre-made mix.
- 2 tsp 5 g ground curry powder
- Ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 large cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Click here for the recipe to make your own Shawarma spice mix.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil in a medium cast-iron skillet or sauté pan on medium heat and add the onion. Stir and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid scorching. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, the remaining tsp of olive oil, Shawarma spice blend, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste together until well combined. Stir in the onion and garlic mixture until evenly distributed throughout the sauce.
- Microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it's just fork tender.
- Trim the leaves off of the cauliflower and cut the stem flush with the bottom so it sits flat. Put the cauliflower in an oven safe pan and brush a thick layer of the sauce over the entire cauliflower. Roast, stem side down, for approximately 1 hour (depending on your oven, you may have to roast up to 2 hours until it's fork tender. If that's the case, cover with foil at 75 minutes to prevent burning the top), or until it’s fork tender and golden brown. Turn the pan once halfway through cooking so it roasts evenly.
- Slice into pieces and serve with the remaining sauce for dipping.