A simple, healthy, and delicious summer Mediterranean summer wrap with tahini dressing. Make it in less than 30 minutes.
WHY RAW WRAPS ARE A HEALTHY AND EASY SUMMER MEAL CHOICE
Summer is all about slowing down, getting outdoors, and eating light and healthy. All I want to do when it’s warm and sunny is soak it all in on my patio, at the beach, or at a backyard get together with my friends.
It also means that I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and I certainly don’t want to cook complicated meals, the easier the better. That’s why I love these delicious and super easy Mediterranean Salad Wraps.
Wraps are one of the easiest and most satisfying foods to grab when you’re in a hurry, and starving. They’re portable and filling, the perfect food for packing for your kids’ summer camp lunch or for work.
These vegetable wraps with a creamy Greek-style dressing are also about as healthy a wrap as you’re going to find. They’re filled with chopped carrots, cucumbers, olives, tomatoes, celery, and artichoke hearts, all smothered in a wonderful tahini dressing that’s so savory and flavorful. Instead of wrapping the salad in a carb loaded flour tortilla, this is wrapped up in a giant collard green leaf. Like I said, it’s so healthy!
Did you know that you can eat collard greens raw? You can, and you should. Cooked collard greens are slightly bitter, but they’re so mild and almost tasteless raw. The leaves are huge and sturdy, and that makes them perfect for wraps. They’re also so nutritious, read about them here.
As much as I try to eat healthy every day, I’m a foodie, and I need good food in my life. A plate of assorted vegetables doesn’t cut it for me. Food should be full of flavors and textures to be enjoyable, and that’s exactly what this wrap delivers. The veggies are crisp and fresh, the olives are chewy and salty, and the tahini dressing is creamy and savory. This wrap has it all.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGETABLE WRAP WITH TAHINI DRESSING
As I said before, this is one of the easiest summer foods to make, and so portable, which means you can take it with you for a quick and healthy meal on the go.
Chop the vegetables
Make the dressing. This is one of my all time favorite dressings, and my husband (who’s not a fan of tahini) loves it too. It’s a combination of tahini, lemon, garlic, cilantro, Greek oregano, and cumin, and it’s a flavor BOMB!
Combine the veggies and the dressing.
Wrap a cup of the salad up in a collard green leaf.
Eat as much as you want.
As we approach July 4th and summer kicks into high gear, make these summer vegetable wraps a staple in your meal plan, and make sure that you come back and let me know what you think.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We’d be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can’t wait to see what we’re going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
- 15 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 12 oz quartered & marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 large tomato cubed
- 1 medium cucumber cubed
- 1 large celery stalk chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 8 to 10 large collard green leaves stem removed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup emon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 tsp minced Greek oregano
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, artichokes, olives, tomato, cucumber, celery, carrots, onion, and dressing until well combined.
- Cut the stem off and pound the tough part of the center vain of the collard green leaf until it bends easily. It may split a little, don’t worry about it. Steam the collard greens in a pot of boiling water with a steamer basket for 3 minutes to soften. Fill the center of the leaf with the salad and roll it up. Cut into three pieces. Repeat with the rest of the wraps.
- Whisk the tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt and pepper together until well combined.
The Nutrition Facts are an estimate only.