Easy 2 ingredient Homemade Almond Butter is perfect for anyone who wants the freshest and best almond butter they can get. It only takes 15 minutes to whip up a batch of this delicious almond spread. And, if you want to amp up your breakfast, try our Salted Chocolate Roasted Almond Butter.
This recipe was originally publisher on April 10, 2014 and updated on August 9, 2019.
Hi there! We’re Linda and Alex, the mother daughter duo and founders of Veganosity. Thanks for visiting us, we’re so happy you’re here. If you’re looking for Southern inspired vegan comfort food recipes, you’ve come to the right place.
We love vegan comfort food and we’re really good at making it. Take a tour through our site and you’ll find all of the recipes that scream, stretchy pants required!
The good news, they’re all plant-based recipes, so you don’t need to feel guilty eating them. Now sit back, relax, and eat happy. 🙂
Also, in case you didn’t know, we’re published cookbook authors. We’ve written two vegan cookbooks that will help you make amazing vegan BBQ (you don’t even need a grill) and everyday meals, from breakfast to dessert.
THE BEST RAW ALMOND BUTTER RECIPE
If you’re like us, it takes a while to go through a 16-ounce jar of almond butter.
It’s not something that we eat every day, and we find that if we open a jar and let it sit for too long, the nut butter dries out.
Instead of worrying about that (because almond butter can be expensive), we like to make small batches of almond butter.
We generally make 2 cups of almonds a week. That lasts us until we need more. If you eat a lot of almond butter, then feel free to make more.
THE BEST BLENDERS FOR NUT BUTTERS
For the best result you’re going to want to use a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix or Blendtec.
Alex uses a Vitamix and Linda uses a Blendtec. They’re both great for making almond butter.
If you can get one with a tamper, or twister lid, it will help grind the nuts faster.
You can also use a food processor, which works just as well. We use a blender or a food processor, we don’t have a preference.
ALMOND BUTTER BENEFITS
It has more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than peanut butter.
Almonds are rich in vitamin E, which is great for skin.
It’s satiating, and because it fills you up faster it can help you lose weight.
Almonds are good for your metabolism and cardiovascular system.
Read more about the health benefits of almonds, HERE.
HOW DO YOU MAKE ALMOND BUTTER?
It’s so simple to make almond butter in a blender or food processor. All you’ll need are almonds, sea salt, and a bit of patience.
ONE STEP HOMEMADE ALMOND BUTTER
Put the almonds and sea salt in the blender or food processor and process on the setting suggested on your appliance.
Process for 5 minutes and stop and scrape the sides of the blender or bowl.
Then process for another 5 minutes and scrape the sides.
Continue this process until the nuts are broken down into a creamy nut butter.
This could take as long as 15 minutes, so be patient.
HOMEMADE ALMOND BUTTER TIPS
• To make the best almond butter from scratch, follow these tips:
• Use the freshest almonds you can find.
• For a nuttier flavor, roast them until they just begin to smell fragrant, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
• Make sure you add the sea salt, this will bring out the flavor of the almonds.
• Be patient and don’t give up. It takes a while for the almonds to break down and release their oil.
Feel free to add cinnamon, nutmeg, or any other spice to the nuts to give the almond butter extra flavor
For a delicious chocolate almond butter, click HERE.
HOW TO EAT ALMOND BUTTER
There are so many different ways to use almond butter, here are a few of our favorite almond butter snacks:
1. Spread it on toast. If you want to make it even hardier, slice bananas or strawberries on top. Click here to see other breakfast toast recipes.
2. Add some to a smoothie for added flavor and protein.
3. Make a paleo PB&J by substituting almond butter for peanut butter.
4. Bake these granola bars and substitute almond butter for the peanut butter.
Make this oil-free almond butter and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, don’t forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us @veganosity on Instagram.
And, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
- 2 cups raw organic almonds
- ½ tsp ground sea salt
- Grind the almonds and salt in a food processor or high-powered blender (see notfor approximately 15 minutes.
- Stop and scrape the sides every 5 minutes and let the processor cool down a little throughout the process.
You can use a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix or Blendtec, or a food processor to make this almond butter recipe.