Cucumber, Tomato & Mint Salad, a fresh, crisp, summer salad that takes less than 15 minutes to make and only 5 ingredients!
Cool, crisp, fresh, and healthy is how you’ll describe this gorgeous cucumber, tomato & mint summer salad. It’s also easy, quick, and the perfect side dish for a BBQ sandwich, like this. Inspired by the haul that I took in from my garden this weekend, it’s one of the best seasonal salads I’ve made so far.
Is there anything better than the aroma of cucumber when you slice one open? It reminds me of freshly mowed lawns and cool summer breezes gently blowing into an open window. And honestly, the flavor of produce that’s just been picked is like nothing else. The same goes for tomatoes. Every ruby red gem bursts with sweet juice that’s better than any piece of candy you could ever eat. When they’re mixed together and combined with peppery red onion and tangy oil-free lemon dressing, well, let’s just say that this is what summer tastes like.
HOW TO MAKE THE FRESHEST CUCUMBER SALAD
If you have a knife and 15 minutes, you can make this salad.
Quarter the cucumbers lengthwise and then slice across in ½ inch (1.27 cm) pieces. Or, if you prefer thin round slices, or ribbons, go for it. You do you.
Slice the tomatoes in half.
Thinly slice ½ of a small red onion. Use the other half for the BBQ that you’re going to want to make to go with this.
Tear the mint leaves into small pieces.
Whisk the lemon juice with the sea salt and sugar (optional, but I highly recommend it).
Toss the lemon dressing and the zest with the salad and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Take a bite of summer.
As I write this on my patio the sun is shining, cicadas are chirping, a pretty white butterfly just flew past me, and there’s a refreshing breeze blowing in from Lake Michigan. And, I may or may not have a chilled glass of rosé keeping me company at the moment. 😉 Summer life is the best life, especially when you can find an abundance of cucumbers, tomatoes, and lemons at farmers markets, the supermarket, or if you’re really fortunate, in your backyard. Make this easy cucumber and tomato salad and let me know what you think. You know I always love hearing from you!
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
Cucumber, Tomato & Mint Salad
- 2 large cucumbers quartered lengthwise then sliced into ½ inch (1.27 cm) pieces
- 2 cups 326 g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup 14 g mint leaves, shredded
- ½ of a small red onion thinly sliced
- Zest from 2 lemons
FOR THE DRESSING
- Juice from 2 large lemons approximately ¼ cup (60 ml)
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the cucumbers (you can slice them as instructed or any way you desire. It’s your salad), tomatoes, and onion and combine in a large bowl. Add the mint leaves and lemon zest. Make the dressing.
FOR THE DRESSING
- Whisk the lemon juice, sugar (optional, but I highly recommend it), and salt together until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and toss to coat. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Add black pepper to taste.