A bright, fresh, and super easy carrot top & almond pesto. You can eat it as a dip or use it as a sauce for pasta or any grain.
Next to hummus, pesto is one of my favorite foods. I eat it as a dip, as a spread, and as a sauce to smother a big ol’ batch of pasta. For real, what could be better than spaghetti or penne noodles dripping with delicious and garlicky pesto? Not much. Not much at all.
This magical pesto is a twist on the typical basil and pine nuts because it’s made with carrot tops, you know, the long shaggy greens stems that are attached to carrots, and almonds. Did you know that you can eat carrot greens? You can (unless you’re allergic to carrots or carrot tops, then you shouldn’t), and it’s a great way to reduce food waste.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT TOP PESTO
The first thing that you’ll want to do is make sure that you buy organic. The idea of pesticides soaking into my greens, and my root vegetables, is an uncomfortable thought, so I buy organic whenever I can, especially if the produce doesn’t have a thick skin that you peel away, such as avocado, bananas, or melon.
Cut the greens away from the carrots and soak them in a bowl of clean water. Swish them around in the water to remove any dirt that may be stuck to the leaves. Rinse well and pat dry.
Toast a couple of cups of raw almonds in a skillet.
Put the almonds, carrot top greens, basil, oregano, garlic, olive oil, vegan parmesan, lemon juice, and sea salt in a food processor and grind into a perfectly delicious pesto.
HOW TO STORE PESTO
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Let’s connect! Hop on over to our Facebook page and give it a like, and follow us on Instagram and Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We'd be so grateful if you did. If you like this recipe and can't wait to see what we're going to share next, subscribe to Veganosity. Just fill in the subscription box above our picture in the top right corner of the page. And, Alex and I love hearing from you, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of our recipes.
CARROT TOP & ALMOND PESTO
- 2 cups 346 g raw almonds
- 2 cups 82 g coarsely chopped carrot top greens
- 1 cup 41 g coarsely chopped basil
- 1 tsp fresh Italian oregano leaves
- 1 garlic clove sliced
- 1 cup 240 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan we use Go Veggie brand
- 1 tbsp 15 ml lemon juice
- ½ tsp finely ground sea salt
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the almonds. Toast for approximately 4 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Stir frequently. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the carrot top greens from the carrots and soak in a large bowl of water. Swish the greens to remove any dirt that’s stuck to the leaves. Rinse well and pat dry , coarsely chop, and place in your food processor with the almonds, basil, oregano, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan, sea salt, and lemon juice. Process for approximately 30 seconds, scrape the sides, and process for another 30 seconds, or until it is a thick, slightly oily, paste. Add more salt and/or garlic if desired and process again.