10 Things You Should Never Ask or Say to a Vegan
The holidays are upon us. While it’s the most wonderful time of the year for celebrations and eating, it’s also the worst time of the year for vegans because of all of the questions and comments we get from non-vegans.
New vegans will get frustrated and/or offended by some of the silly things people say. But as time goes on those questions and statements become white noise. Unless someone really wants to learn about veganism, then we’re happy to talk to you.
Here are the most common and ridiculous questions that Alex and I have heard over the last two years. If you’re not a vegan, please don’t ask or say these things. Just don’t.
1. “So how do you get your protein?”
Do you really want to know? How much time do you have?
2. “So you can eat fish right?”
I can’t, I just can’t.
3. “You know that plants have feelings too, right?”
Please go. Please.
3. “But cows NEED to be milked.”
Um, you do realize that cows, like humans, need to give birth to lactate? If they aren’t impregnated they don’t need to be milked! Sigh.
4. “You know one person can’t make a difference, right?”
You didn’t just say that?
5. “If we stopped eating cows and drinking milk wouldn’t the cows be out of a job?”
Yes, because we all know that cows need to work.
6. “I just don’t like vegan food.”
7. “You know a vegan diet isn’t healthy, right?”
8. “What if you were on a deserted island, then what would you eat?”
Because that’s going to happen!
9. “Why can’t you just eat grass fed….humane meat….organic…..free range….?”
Do I really need to answer that?
10. “Humans need to eat meat to survive.”
Do I look like I’m dying?!
If you’re a vegan have you been heard any of the above? How many times?
If you’re not a vegan have you asked or said any of the above?
Will you share this with your friends?
Do you like what you’ve seen so far? We sure hope so! Do us a favor, take a trip over to our Facebook page and give it a like, or follow us on Instagram or Twitter, and follow us and share this and other Veganosity recipes on Pinterest. We’d be so grateful if you did.